EPIC SUMMER Events #1 and 2
So you might have heard that I'm planning for a pretty epic summer. School got out last Thursday, and my first epic event of the summer occurred Friday night.#1: MEETING SARAH DESSEN
Sarah Dessen was doing a reading and a booksigning at my local barnes and noble to promote her new book Along for the Ride, so of course my friend and I were there. My mom's membership allowed us to sit in the third row and hop up really quick to get in line when she started signing.
She read a section of the book (if you're interested, it was the same section she read on her youtube channel) and then took questions. I remember her responding to a question about why her characters cross over in her novels; she said it's due to the large amount of requests she gets for sequels, as well as a desire to create an inside joke with her fans.
Ms. Dessen also said something about names, and how sometimes she steals them from people who come through at her book signings. When she signed my books, she told me that she would've named her daughter Natasha had her husband not voted her down. Since my friend's name is Dynahlee, which is unusual, we're hoping to see our names pop up in a future book, maybe.

Oh, iPhone pictures.
#2: FARRAGUT NORTH
Last night my friend Alison and I went to see a play called Farragut North in LA. It was staring Chris Pine, Chris Noth, and Olivia Thirlby, and we were maybe hoping for a little run-in with Captain Fine himself. The play was great: Pine never leaves the stage, which is like a giant screen. Images are shot down on it, and the scenery moves around, and Pine just kind of freezes. I've got to admit that some of the political stuff was over our heads, but it was really exciting nonetheless.
After the show we were standing in the lobby waiting for the actors to come out when Alison suddenly stopped a man who was walking by us. I couldn't really catch what she was saying, but it included the words "my friend Steven" and "would you mind signing this?" As Alison scooted up next to him to take a picture, who he was popped into my head.

That's JJ ABRAMS. THE JJ Abrams, the director of "Star Trek" and the creative mastermind behind "Lost." And I was too stupid to hop into that picture... Can you imagine standing that close to that much genius?
We waited in the lobby for about ten more minutes, and then the actors came downstairs. Alison popped over to Chris Pine right away and got him to take a picture with us.

[For explanation into the ontd_startrek signs, click here.]
As soon as we took that picture, JJ Abrams walked up to Chris Pine, and we watched them have a conversation. WE WATCHED THEM HAVE A CONVERSATION! Since we didn't want to interrupt, unfortunately we didn't get Captain Fine to sign anything.
Okay, I don't know if you saw that. Maybe you need to scan back up the page? Because, yeah, I met CHRIS PINE. And, of course, being me, I was to stupid to say anything.
1 quirky quips:
AHA I'M SO SHAMELESS. But GIIIRRRL WE MET CHRIS PINE! And my arm is around him in that pic, I just noticed. Ahhhh we're so epic.
Post a Comment