Lots of Thoughts
I have a zillion things running around in my head right now, so I think I'll make a list to at least feign organization. How's that sound?1. Writing
Kate blogged about writing yesterday, specifically about how tough it is to come up with a character that's more than just an image of yourself. Then she said that she's a plot writer. I thought about that, and I've decided I'm more of a character writer. But what I have trouble with is creating imperfect characters. I think when I write the world I create is somewhat of my dream world, and I want all the characters to be the perfect friends I wish I had, the perfect guys I wish I could date. The problem with that, though, is that I end up with these insanely unrealistic robots.
The thing (story? I can't really call it a novel yet) that I'm working on right now is made up of memories of the main character and I'm trying to use them to piece together who she is in the present. But I haven't mapped out a plot yet (and I actually don't know if I will) so it's just kind of wandering. And I can't commit myself to it enough to want to spend hours a day working on it. I don't know how professional contracted published writers get up enough momentum to work so consistently everyday.
2. Miley Cyrus
A stripper pole at the Teen Choice Awards? Really? God, really? Actually that kind of relates to internet etiquette (okay no it doesn't but go with me here), which is something I've been thinking about. Is it invasion of privacy to read wall conversations when they come up in my Facebook newsfeed? And is it weird to comment on someone's picture if you're not in it or weren't at the event that the pictures are from? How many times can you update your status a day before it gets annoying? Does it bug other people when they get tagged in notes? Does anyone else worry about any of this?
3. Cross-Country Friends
I miss my Yale friends. We've been texting and talking on Facebook and actually sending snail-mail letters, but I don't think anything is as good as really seeing someone everyday. And I keep talking about them or about an inside joke or about something funny that's happened. I'm sure my mom and my sister are tired of that. And my in-town friends probably don't want to hear about them repeatedly either.
4. Books
I just finished This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper, and it was really good. It was funny and touching and it had a nice cover. I haven't been reading a lot this summer, which makes me sad because usually I read book after book after book. I have a pile on my dresser that's remained basically untouched since I got home three weeks ago. Hopefully I'll start making my way through them eventually. Although there is that summer assignment to get through...
Decent sized blog post? I think so.
:]
2 quirky quips:
Wow!! You're writing a story? I look forward to reading it! Can I read it when you're done?! :]
And I totally understand what you mean about missing your Yale friends. I went to medical camp in Philadelphia at Villanova University and I really really miss everyone there :[
By the way, I thought this was hilarious, but the Word Verification captcha is "nalks". That word just cracks me up
ahahahaha
I also think about the rules of internet etiquette quite often, because I do look at the pictures of events I wasn't at, or quite recently, spamming peoples' news feeds with pointless updates from Farmville.
And I know exactly how you feel about your Yale friends, I feel the same way about everyone I went to RYLA with. It's tough when you have to leave people you lived with temporarily and go back home. I got depressed when I had to leave after 1 week, and you did 3! I keep talking about them too and mention them to my in-town friends and they just give me weird looks. So I feel yout pain!
Stripper pole, seriously?!?!
Post a Comment