Overheard in a public restroom

Tonight I was in the bathroom at the Santa Monica library (if you could call that giant a library - wow) when I overheard an older woman talking to a twenty-something.

"My third husband, he was a Protestant," the woman was saying, "and he would take me out to the disco and our friends would ask me why I married him. But I didn't know, because it's not like he was great in bed or anything." Meanwhile the twenty-something was drying her hands and smiling and laughing at all the right places and looking around for a quick but polite exit.

I was laughing about it before, but now that I think about it, the humor's in assuming that these two were total strangers - but what if they weren't? What if they were distant cousins, or members of the same book club? How much do you really divulge to someone that you meet in a bathroom?

(And it's also funny how dated and cliched the conversation seemed - her THIRD husband was a Protestant specifically, and he would take her out to the DISCO. I love people.)

And randomly that just reminded me of how much I hate people who talk on the phone in bathrooms. How hard is it to say, sorry, I'll call you back in five minutes? Do you really need to talk so bad that you'll carry on a conversation while you're peeing? Phone mics are loud. I'm sure the person on the other end can hear you flushing the toilet. I hope people don't go to the bathroom while talking to me. Gross. And a bit creepy.

Anywho, I'm working on a report of both my time at Yale and the wizard rock show I attended tonight, to be posted soon. My epic summer must be recorded!

:]

1 quirky quips:

Taylor | August 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM

hahaha...thats really funny. how old was this lady???