The Future?

Guys, today I made a discovery. (It has nothing to do with the fact that I might be listening to Relient K right now. Don't judge. Pandora operates without my consent.)

I think that needs more emphasis. A DISCOVERY. I decided what I want to study in college. Well, sort of.

See, I've always known that I like writing and I like reading and I don't like math. But tonight I was reading about Lewis & Clark University in Portland, Oregon, where everyone likes what they're studying, and they like learning for the sake of learning, not because they need a degree to get a job to make money. And that is exactly the kind of college student/person I want to be: someone who enjoys their homework because it's on something that they like.

So I was reading about all these happy people and their beautiful campus with its beautiful trees and I started thinking about all the things that I love and want to make out of a career. (Sadly, Nerdfighting isn't exactly a career.) I've determined these things to be creative writing, English, history, and architecture.

Obviously I can't major in all of them - and my mom told me that architecture majors might be a bit rare at small liberal arts colleges - but somehow I suddenly feel like I have a direction, or close to one maybe, and that's a good feeling.

My mom and I are going up to Portland over winter break to look at schools, and while I'm not exactly that excited about going to college and moving away from home and all that, I'm already anticipating absolutely loving Portland. It sounds gorgeous and bookish and it's on a river, for goodness sake. I mean, just look at this or this. I love it already.

Happy second day of December!

3 quirky quips:

Najela | December 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I love college. I was a little apprehensive as well, but it's fun. You meet new people, do new things, and learn new stuff. That's the thing I enjoy the most. Good luck in choosing a college.

Alison | December 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM

That's really good, man. Every time you get closer to a decision for college it feels like a little weight is lifted.
It looks beautiful there and it's very 'you'.

Wayne campbell | December 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM

wow. that's amazing., i want to come visit you :) and we shall toss stones in the river, or something :)