You can't whisper secrets over the internet

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for Portland for a few days. My mom and I are going to check out a couple of schools (Lewis & Clark and Reed) and go shopping and hopefully not freeze to death. At least I'm not over on the east coast right now, though; those temperatures are too cold to even think about.

This evening my mom told me that my text message count for the last month was one thousand something. My little sister's count was an astounding two thousand three hundred something. I really don't know how a thirteen year-old sends so many text messages. My sister said something like, "aren't you amazed at my social life?" But then I was thinking about it, and I realized - that's not really a social life. Communicating with someone via text message (or instant message or facebook wall or even skype) isn't the same as talking to someone in person. I have nothing against internet based-relationships, but I just can't comprehend really getting to know someone like that. And not even just romantic relationships - I feel like friendships that are based solely on online communication are missing a key part of their foundation. You can't whisper secrets over the internet, can you?

Anyhow, moving on. Today I went to the mall with Ellie and I bought way too many pairs of earrings. I really love the accessories department at Forever 21. Then I got home and sat around until dinner. I love that - just sitting around. But I know that because I've been sitting around all weekend, as soon as I get back from Portland I'm going to have to really crack down on my homework so I don't leave it till the last weekend of break.

Oh god, I'm already eager for summer.

1 quirky quips:

Wayne campbell | December 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM

"You can't whisper secrets over the internet, can you?" i have no idea why, but i really love this. there is some truth to what you are saying, i don't entirely agree. But i really really like this quote.