I set fire to the rain and I threw us into the flames

Things that I find utterly ridiculous today:  when a character in a book says, "well, that's an interesting plot twist" because it obviously is because the writer planned it that way; the phrase, "I find you much changed" because it sounds bizarre and antiquated; that tv news anchors find it appropriate to interview the families of dead soldiers only hours after the deaths; how I can read the same story a zillion times (or hear the same song) and still be fascinated by it; the overused expression, "I know, right?" that holds really not a lot of meaning at all; the fact that the word "fuck" doesn't bother me anymore.

I've been thinking about war a lot, not any one war specifically but mostly just the abstract concept of it, and how it's so fascinating in books and movies but so absolutely sickening in real life.  But it continues to happen again and again and we continue to write about it and tell stories about it and what if we just stopped?  If everything related to war just went away and it was just a distant memory, like cholera or the guillotine.  Of course that's impossible, because people suck.  Sometimes I'm trying to explain something to myself, or to my little sister, and the only reasoning that I can come up with is that people suck, and they're emotional and impractical and stupid, and that they don't know any other way to be.

I will never understand why fan fiction writers insist on killing Luna Lovegood.

0 quirky quips: