Even though my life before was tragic
I just sat through about half of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics before we all started to fall asleep on the couch. Say what you will about my lack of patriotism and spirit and whatnot - but I have absolutely no desire at all to watch the Olympics. Although I must admit that some of the pants that various countries were sporting were quite entertaining, and it was fun trying to understand the French announcements.Today at school choir delivered singing grams for Valentine's Day. In first period, I heard two renditions of "Brown Eyed Girl" and in second period, another of the same and two rounds of "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic." And then "Brown Eyed Girl" changed to "Boy" in sixth period. I've had "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" stuck in my head ALL DAY. And so of course I'm listening to it right now, because that's what I do every time I have a song stuck in my head - listen to it over and over and over until I know all the words.
Earlier this evening the version of "We Are the World" that all the stars recorded in honor of Haiti was on, and I was pointing all of the celebrities out to my clueless mother - "Who's that?" "Josh Groban." "That's Barbara Streisand!" "I know, Mom." - when my dad suddenly walked over and blocked me from seeing the tv. "You know all of those people could buy Haiti with the money in their cookie jars, right?" And so I said, "yeah, I know that." But after thinking about it for awhile, I've decided that I'm not naive - I'm just not cynical. I know that maybe Miley Cyrus only does song collaborations like that because Disney makes her, but is it so hard to believe that she actually has a heart? We're all just people, and we're just people wanting to help other people, and there's nothing wrong with celebrities using their influential status to bring attention to good causes. And besides, how does my dad know that Miley and Jennifer Hudson and Fergie and the Jonas Brothers haven't emptied out their cookie jars for all the people suffering in Haiti? It's horribly generalizing to assume that just because they're famous, they're so caught up in their own lives that they don't realize what's going on around them. (And, okay, who keeps money in a cookie jar anyway?)
In any case, I'm glad I'm not that cynical. I like to believe the best in people - like to, meaning I don't always. Especially when it comes to trusting other people with things. But - I sort of don't think what I'm about to say is going to make any sense - when it comes to being human, to being emotional and feeling for others and all that - we all come from the same essential roots, and so I should theoretically be able to expect from others what I can expect from myself. But only theoretically, of course.
Tomorrow I'm going to stay home and do homework all day, and hopefully read a bit and maybe catch up on some tv. I love days like that, lazy days, rester chez moi days. Qu'est-ce que tu vas faire ce weekend?
0 quirky quips:
Post a Comment