They said always call when you get there
So I've just seen "Inception", and because it's what I do (over-think things to the point where they become totally meaningless), I've been turning the ending over and over in my mind for hours, repeatedly coming to the same conclusion. Either the top falls or it doesn't, but we'll never know either way. Disregarding that, as well as the fact that it's all fictional anyway, we see Cobb turn away from the top. Say he turns around; he'll either see the top spinning, or it will have fallen down. If it's still spinning, he'll make a decision based on that. Or say he doesn't turn around - say he makes the conscious decision to not know the fate of the top, the conscious decision to accept that where he is right now is where he wants to be despite the fact that it might not be reality. There's a perpetual limbo - is it a dream or isn't it, is the top spinning or isn't it. But it really doesn't matter.This perpetual limbo - because I like to over-analyze things, I've put the top in a box in my mind, like Schrodinger's cat in the box. The cat's both alive and dead at the same time because we don't know what it truly is until we look at it. It's the same with the top. So taking the top toppling over as a sign of reality, if we don't see the top fall, we don't know that it doesn't - but we don't know that it does. So choosing not to care - what does that do to the top?
Now, my father would say that they all die in the end anyway, so who cares? Which I suppose is true. These are fictional characters and a fictional concept, and I'm just a teenage girl who's procrastinating her summer homework by writing up something that's probably already been thought about by billions of (other, much smarter) sci-fi enthusiasts all over the internet. Nerd and conformist, that's me.
Other things I've conformed to lately: a Seventeen Magazine workout plan, summer homework procrastination, staying up late followed by sleeping in late, watching two hours of youtube videos in one night, teaching a parent to use facebook, pointless and lengthly blog entries that no one will ever read.
0 quirky quips:
Post a Comment