I am an afikoman failure (in two ways)
First of all, I failed to find the afikoman. Technically, as the oldest cousin, I am supposed to forget about my afikoman-finding skills and allow one of my little cousins (ages 5, 6, 6, 10, and 12, and 14 months, and 2, but the last two can't participate because they have a limited verbal capacity) to find it and then be very excited and return to to my grandpa to recieve a reward.
(For those of you who are extremely confused right now, the afikoman is a special piece of matzah that gets hidden at the beginning of the seder - the special Passover meal - for the kids to find at the end. Then traditionally the kid who finds it gets some kind of reward, usually a dollar, and then the afikoman is broken up and everybody gets a piece of it for dessert. Which, in case you are wondering, doesn't exactly make sense, as matzah is a dry cracker that basically tastes like cardboard.)
As soon as my uncle announced that it was time to find the afikoman, one of my cousins went over and pulled it out, as he had already seen it and was just waiting for the time to find it to arrive. Then there was quite a bit of chaos as all the other kids insisted that that (ooh, look, double that!) wasn't fair since he didn't have to look and none of the others got a chance to search.But then my grandpa gave everyone a dollar so it was all okay.
The second way I am an afikoman failure: I don't think that's the correct spelling, and I'm too tired to go look it up.
Aficoman? No way.
Officoman? Nope.
Aphi- Okay, that's totally wrong. I must have it spelled right.
My mother, who's been a Jew a lot longer than I have, says it's afikomen. :\ Instead of changing all my a's to e's, I'll just let y'all (yes, I said y'all) see how horrible of a speller I am. My mom's always said I can't spell worth beans. (For the record, I don't even like beans.)
0 quirky quips:
Post a Comment